Poverty in Africa is majorly influenced by a lack of safe, clean water. According to the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA), approximately 66 percent of Africa is arid or semi-arid. This means that more than 300 million people in the sub-Saharan region reside in a water-scarce environment. To eliminate water scarcity in communities throughout Africa, people are joining together to drill wells and raise money for water solutions. The Last Well is one such charity for Africa dedicated to reaching the goal of providing access to safe drinking water to the entire country of Liberia. By becoming a sponsor for The Last Well’s mission, you too can make a difference in the lives of millions of men, women, and children in Africa.
Start a Fundraiser
Fundraising is a fun and effective way to help raise money for an important cause. The Last Well offers a number of fundraising opportunities that allow participants to get involved with a cause that could support countless lives and help eliminate preventable water-related illnesses and deaths. Some fundraising ideas include:
- General Fundraising – Gather friends and family to launch a fundraiser to help The Last Well raise money to bring clean water and the Gospel to all residents in Liberia by 2020.
- Birthday Fundraising – Ask friends and family to donate to The Last Well’s mission in lieu of gifts this year. Hosting a fundraiser can be a great way to celebrate a special occasion.
- Sports Fundraising – Turn your passion into a fundraising opportunity. Run a marathon, go cycling, or even skydive. Whatever sport or activity you choose, take advantage of an opportunity to raise awareness about an important cause.
- Holiday Fundraising – This holiday season, consider asking for donations to The Last Well instead of receiving gifts. The holidays are the perfect time for giving and these contributions put The Last Well one step closer to their goal.
- Creative Fundraising – Use your imagination and start a fundraiser based on a unique theme. Host a silent auction, smash a car, or have a video game tournament. When it comes to giving to those in need, there are no bad ideas.
Sponsor a Village
Fundraising is not the only way to help bring clean water to Africa. You can also choose to support an entire village. Whether by yourself, with a group of friends, your family or company, sponsoring a village gives new hope to families throughout Liberia. The Last Well has a goal of 1,000 individuals, families, groups, and businesses sponsoring ½, 1, 2, or 3 Liberian villages over the course of the next three years. Once this goal is reached, every person in Liberia will have access to clean, safe drinking water and will have heard the Gospel.
There are many options you can choose if you are interested in sponsoring a village in Liberia, such as:
- Village Partner – $55 per month to support 1 community
- Village supporter – $110 per month to support 1 community
- Village Champion – $220 per month to support 2 communities
- Village Hero – $330 per month to support 3 communities
- Village Ambassador – $550 per month to support 5 communities
- Village Legend – $1,100 per month to support 10 communities
When you help sponsor a village, you provide a monthly donation that helps support entire communities with safe water and the Gospel. You can choose to give monthly donations until December 2020. You can also choose to create your own one-time or monthly donation with The Last Well.
Tell Your Friends
In addition to sponsoring a clean water project, The Last Well provides other opportunities to make a difference. Share information about this important cause on social media. By following The Last Well on Twitter, liking the charity on Facebook, or subscribing on YouTube, you can help share the clean water mission and create opportunities for others to do the same. If you are not ready to launch a fundraiser, you can also make direct donations to The Last Well. Every dollar donated goes to helping stop the water crisis in Africa. Donors will also match your gift.
Get Involved Today
More and more people and organizations are coming together to help revolutionize the health and future of communities throughout Africa. These organizations and charities are fully committed to bringing families in developing countries access to clean water solutions. In addition to reducing the risk of water-related disease and death, having access to safe, clean water can impact communities in other ways. Children are able to get an education, adults can provide their loved ones with proper sanitation options, and the cycle of poverty can be significantly diminished. For more information about how to sponsor a clean water project, contact The Last Well today.